Happy National Pet Day! Show your furry friend’s teeth some love
- Apr 10, 2017 3:06:49 PM
- in Health and Wellness
- by Prophix
April 11 is National Pet Day! Our furry friends are incredibly valuable to us—not only do they provide love and companionship, but they actually contribute to our overall wellness. Studies have shown that:
• Heart-attack sufferers who own dogs have better one-year survival rates than non-dog-owners.
• Married couples who own pets have lower heart rates and lower blood pressure compared to those who did not own pets.
• Regularly walking a dog can help ward off health problems related to aging or sedentary lifestyle.
• Owning a pet—particularly a dog —can help lower your risk of heart disease.
Given the amazing health benefits we get from our pets, it seems only fair that we return the favor! It’s not always easy for our fuzzy buddies to keep their teeth healthy—in fact, 80% of dogs and 70% of cats have some form of periodontal disease by the age of three. Below are some tips for keeping your pet’s teeth in great shape (with a bonus tip for your own teeth):
• Schedule regular vet visits. Take your pet to the vet at least once a year for an examination of their teeth and gums.
• Brush their teeth. Between vet visits, brushing your pet’s teeth is the best way to prevent tartar and plaque buildup. The American Veterinary Medical Association has a good video tutorial here (or ask your vet for tips).
• Stay on the lookout for trouble. Signs of unhealthy teeth include bad breath, abnormal chewing or drooling, refusal to eat, and swelling around the mouth.
• Whatever you’re doing, do it for Fido. Develop a regular oral care schedule that includes your teeth and your pet’s teeth. After you brush your teeth, brush theirs. Book a vet visit while you’re scheduling your own trip to the dentist. Both of you will benefit!
Have a great photo of your pet? We want to see it! Post it to our Facebook page for everyone to admire and you could win a free Prophix charger!